Department of Surgery
Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis
B.S. Bioengineering, Rice University
My work involves the development of novel approaches for growth factor regulation for cell culture applications
- Murphy KC, Hughbanks ML, Binder BY, Leach JK. “Engineered fibrin gels for parallel stimulation of mesenchymal stem cell proangiogenic and osteogenic potential.” Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2014 Dec(epub ahead of print)
- Binder B, Peebles C, Shanks J, San K. “The effect of UV-B stress on the production of terpenoid indole alkaloids in Catharanthus roseus hairy roots.” Biotechnology Progress. 2009 May-Jun; 25(3): 861-5.
- Correa-Cerro LS, Piao Y, Sharov AA, Nishiyama A, Cadet JS, Yu H, Sharova LV, Xin L, Hoang HG, Thomas M, Qian Y, Dudekula D, Amano M, Meyers E, Binder BY, et al. “Generation of mouse ES cell lines engineered for the forced induction of transcription factors.” Scientific Reports. 2011 Nov; 1(167).
- Hoch AI, Binder BY, Genetos DC, Leach JK. “Differentiation-dependent secretion of proangiogenic factors by mesenchymal stem cells.” PLoS One. 2012 7(4):e35579.
- Decaris ML, Binder BY, Soicher MA, Bhat A, Leach JK. “Cell-derived matrix coatings for polymeric scaffolds.” Tissue Engineering Part A. 2012 Oct;18(19-20):2148-57.
- Nishiyama A, Sharov A, Piao Y, Amano M, Amano T, Hoang HG, Binder BY, et al. “Systematic repression of transcription factors reveals limited patterns of gene expression changes in ES cells.” Scientific Reports. 2013 March; 3(1390).
- Davis HE, Binder BY, Schaecher P, Yakoobinsky DD, Bhat A, Leach JK. “Enhancing osteoconductivity of fibrin gels with apatite-coated polymer microspheres.” Tissue Engineering Part A. 2013 Aug; 19(15-16).
- Binder BY, Sondergaard CS, Nolta JA, Leach JK. “Lysophosphatidic acid enhances stromal cell-directed angiogenesis.” PLoS One. 2013 Dec;8(12):e82134.
- Binder BY, Genetos DC, Leach JK. “Lysophosphatidic acid protects human mesenchymal stromal cells from differentiation-dependent vulnerability to apoptosis.” Tissue Engineering Part A. 2014 Apr; 20(7-8):1156-64.
- Jose S, Hughbanks ML, Binder BY, Ingavle GC, Leach JK. “Enhanced trophic factor secretion by mesenchymal stem cells with Glycine-Histidine-Lysine (GHK)-modified alginate hydrogels.” Acta Biomaterialia. 2014 May; 10(5):1955-64.
- Murphy KC, Davis HE, Binder BY, Leach JK. “Fibrin gels as cell-instructive substrates for regenerative medicine.” 2014 Materials Research Society (MRS) Spring Meeting Proceedings.
- Binder BY, Leach JK, Marcu L. Fluorescence tools for use in tissue engineering. in Fluorescent Lifetime Spectroscopy of Imaging in Tissue Biomedical Diagnostics. Marcu L, French PMW, and Elson DW, editors. 2014, CRC Press.
- Binder BY, Sagun JE, Leach JK. “Reduced serum and hypoxic culture conditions enhance the osteogenic potential of human mesenchymal stem cells.” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports. 2014 Aug(epub ahead of print).
Awards & Honors:
- NIH T32 Vascular Surgery Training Grant