Position title: Assistant Scientist
Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, National University of Ireland, Galway
Master degree in Medical Biotechnology, University of Trieste, Italy
Bachelor degree in Biotechnology, University of Trieste, Italy
Develop platforms for the delivery of nucleic acids in non-dividing cells or in induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). Moreover, I also have interest in understanding the development of neural tissues using controlled microenvironments and iPSCs.
- Fontana G., Srivastava A., Thomas D., Lalor P., Dockery P., Pandit A. “A three-dimensional microgel Platform for the Production of Cell Factories Tailored for the Nucleus Pulposus” Bioconjugate Chemistry (2014) (in press)
- Fontana G., See E., Pandit A.. “Current Trends in Biologics Delivery to Restore Intervertebral Disc Anabolism” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, August 2014
- Fontana G., Thomas D., Collin E., Pandit A.. “Microgel Microenvironment Primes Adipose-Derived Stem Cells Towards a NP Cells-like Phenotype”Advanced Healthcare Materials (2014)
- Thomas D., Fontana G., Chen X., Sanz-Nogues C., Zeugolis D.I., Dockery P., O’Brien T., Pandit A. “A Shape-Controlled Tuneable Microgel Platform to Modulate Angiogenic Paracrine Responses in Stem Cells” Biomaterials (2014)
- Browne S.*, Fontana G.*, Rodriguez B., Pandit A. “A Protective Extracellular Matrix-based Gene Delivery Reservoir Fabricated by Electrostatic Charge Manipulation.” Molecular Pharmaceutics. 2012 (* Equal Contribution)
- Newland B., Moloney TC., Fontana G., Browne S., Pandit A. “The Neurotoxicity of Gene Vectors and its Amelioration by Packaging with Collagen Hollow Spheres”. Biomaterials. 2013
- Book Chapter: Zeugolis D.I., Keeney M., Collin E., Fontana G., Pandit A.. “Xenogenic Tissues and Biomaterials for the Skeletal System” Comprehensive Biomaterials (2011), 387-404.
- Book Chapter: Fontana G., Delgado L., Cigognini D.. “Biologically Inspired Materials in Tissue Engineering” Extracellular Matrix for Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials, Springer – Submitted in September 2014
Awards & Honors:
- Winner of the Wiley Functional Material Award for best poster presentation at The 24th European Society for Biomaterials (ESB), 4th -8th September, 2011; Dublin.